Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Oh the fourth grade...

I can't believe it--I finally have the opportunity to experience the grade I have always thought I would enjoy the most.  The first day is so far supporting that thought which is FANTASTIC!

I walked in and the classroom was great--so organized, neat and CLEAN.  They have an ELMO, SmartBoard, and two white boards.  There are 20 students total in my class, but only about 18 were there.  There are many higher level students in our classroom, along with two students in special education! I love when there is a nice mix of levels in a classroom because it really helps me to see how the teacher accommodates for all students.

The first thing a little girl said to me is, "My cat is afraid of it's litter box. His name is Bulldozer. He's really fat." ...AS the teacher was trying to teach. OOPS.  I just smiled, nodded, and thought WHAT IN THE WORLD?! Oh boy, I think that's one of the reasons I am going to love teaching.

We observed for a while as the students worked a lot on different test-taking skills.  My favorite part of the lesson by far were the Prefix push-ups and the Suffix sit-ups.  Awesome. The kids were all over it AND had the meanings of quite a few prefixes and suffixes memorized while getting a little exercise. Such a useful idea.

Overall, I am sad I don't get to go back until the end of March, but I am ecstatic to begin this adventure. Can't wait to share. :)


Catch ya later,
Kait








No comments:

Post a Comment